With the recent release of S/4HANA® 1709 SAP customers are now able to run SAP Transportation Management functionality on the same instance as their ERP solution.
S/4HANA 1709 introduced an additional deployment option for SAP Transportation Management where SAP TM 9.5 functionality runs side-by-side on the same S/4HANA instance as the ERP functionality. In other words, it is no longer necessary to have a separate set of systems/servers/databases for SAP Transportation, as is the case with the classic side-car deployment option of SAP TM that we have seen to date.
- Reduces the complexity of several interfaces and data duplication.
- Currently embedded TM option only supports the Shipper scenario.
- Smaller database and hardware footprint
- Reduction in Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) due to smaller replication and monitoring effort
- Enhanced user experience leveraging S/4HANA "look and feel" and Fiori UI
- Remove the need to duplicate ERP Master Data, thereby removing the need for the Core Interface (CIF) by sharing a single set of harmonized master data objects.
- Real-time embedded analytics
- Integration with new S/4HANA Enterprise Management for managing transportation-related equipment
- Remove ERP Transactional Data from SAP TM perspective by removing Order-based Transportation Requirement (OTR) and Delivery-based Transportation Requirement (DTR) documents in TM. OTR and DTR documents are no longer necessary. Orders and deliveries are able to convert directly into Freight Units, Freight Orders, etc.
S/4HANA 1709 brought the possibility of implementing Basic Shipping functionality using the modern SAP TM code base. The following basic functions are included:
- Main transportation network master data (zones, lanes, etc.)
- Manual carrier selection and tendering
- Freight agreements
- Delivery based planning
- Dangerous goods management (with some limitations)
- Output management
- Transportation execution (without Event Management)
- Basic charge calculation and freight settlement
- Analytics in BW
TM adds a wide range of functionality on top of Basic Shipping in side-car SAP Transportation Management offering:
- Order and delivery-based planning
- Transportation Cockpit UI
- Optimizer-based planning
- Automatic carrier selection and tendering
- Advanced charge calculation (consolidated, event-based, air/rail/ocean functionality)
- Analytics and reporting via CDS
- Load planning and optimization (TLB)
- Integration with:
- Event Management
- Global Track & Trace (EM future replacement)
- Logistics Business Network
- Enterprise Warehouse Management (EWM)
- Enterprise Asset Management
- Geographical Information Systems (PC*Miler, HERE, etc.)
- Global Trade Service (GTS)
- S/4HANA Credit Management